Wednesday, February 10, 2010

To learn and never be filled, is wisdom; to teach and never be weary, is love.


Coffee, where have you been all of my life? I never knew how glorious you are until recently. I think we're going to be very good friends from now on :)


I have never been this excited about my classes and wanting to do so well until recently. I loved being in St. Louis and I definitely got excited about what I was learning, but I never really felt like it was preparing me for my career. I'm definitely thankful that I am not prepared to think for myself and have developed a faith I would not have otherwise, but now I'm even more excited that I am made a teacher. I always thought it silly that people would say they were born to do something and I never understood how you could possible know that. I finally get it. Everytime I imagine myself in a classroom or everytime I have the opportunity I get butterflies and i'm scared beyond belief and the 30 seconds into it I'm filled with joy and an adrenaline rush I can't get elswhere.


I'm baffled by the fact that I'll be a teacher in two years...everything I'm learning in my classes, all the cute ideas, projects, and lessons are going to be reality. I remember throughout high school and the last 4 years of college, I have just thrown away my work after my class was over and just stored my books that I thought I'd never need. Now it's a reality and I actually will be using the things I' learning. I constantly imagine what I want my classroom to be like, how I'll be different, what my pedagogy will be like. I go back to Escalante Middle school today and I'm excited because the kids are hilarious. I don't want to work with middle school kids, but I'm still learning an unbelievable amount about teaching and classroom dynamics. A ton of memories of middle school are being brought back. I forgot most of that period of time because it was pretty miserable, but I find a lot of humor in it now.



I want this in my classroom:



My kids won't fear speaking up, asking questions, standing up for themselves, or fear of peers.


I want to teach first graders about fractions through cooking


I want my kids to not just memorize rules and learn things to get them through, I want them to use their hands and make things to apply it to the real world


I want my kids to grow a garden


I want my kids to know that they are valued and they ALL have worth


I want my kids to be confident and develop their strenghts


I want my kids to not be smushed together as a group, but want to be an individual


I want to learn math so well that my kids will know HOW it works and know why it is important and will be able to apply it in the future


I want my kids to know and appreciate reading books


I want read the Box Car Children to them


I want to do edible math


I want them be excited about learning



I can't wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment